a high school graduation in 2012
Hey all. This week we're trying something new.
I get to spend a lot of time sitting with Sid talking through your questions. It is a lot of fun... and as you can imagine, entertaining. We have often taped our chats as part of the writing process, and what we end up with in the column is our best effort at answering your questions.
Some of it — and for me, some of the gems — can get a little lost in translation. So in an effort to keep it interesting, and to not take ourselves too seriously, we thought... why don’t we just share some of the cuts on tape?
This is our first stab at an audio version of Hey Sid. In a sense... we pulled out the adapter to play the 45. If Sid is great at anything, it's talking about clothes. Hopefully you'll hear the fun that it is to sit across from him, as well as some great advice.
JB – Editor, Hey Sid!
“Take it up a notch... or whatever that means to you” | 0:26–2:13
• Navy seersucker suit - good for the dad, or the grad! And great for the May temps.
• A nice shirt - this one would look great under a jacket, but pretty much any of these dress shirts would be aces.
• Something festive or regional - like our riff on a guayabera - Know your audience! Maybe this Hawaiian looking shirt is more appropriate... perhaps your kid is graduating from an eco-friendly island school?
“Jacket Talk” | 2:14–2:54
• Navy blazer - Broken record territory here... but it's because a navy blazer universally works.
• A little pop of color - Sid loves this one (and spoiler alert, apparently loves pink for graduation).
• Sage Seersucker - this one is softer. Sage green so you can offer sage advice. And it has a little stretch in case there's dancing at the grad party.
“Making the case for the tie” | 2:55–3:50
• A knit tie in a fantastic color - the color of the school you're leaving, or the one you're going to.
• Or a floral tie - an easy way to celebrate Spring.
“What I wore to graduation” | 3:51–4:45
• Pink sport trousers - okay, these are more peach but still bat for the same team.
• White Poplin Dress Shirt - because when you're wearing pink pants...
• Navy Knit Tie - the French blue dots add just the right amount of interest.
and a high school graduation in 1983
Have fun, JW, and hope this was helpful — sounds like you've got a pretty full calendar ahead. Enjoy.